Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget

Ten years ago I was a PA transplant, new to New York City. Exactly one year before, I had moved with two other girls to a railroad apartment in Hoboken, NJ hoping to join the ranks of all the other aspiring performers. My bedroom window just happened to face the Hudson River and lower Manhattan. On that morning of September 11th, we saw it all.

Ten years later I am still a New Yorker, 11 years strong. My memories from that day are still as vivid as can be. I will always remember how New Yorkers suddenly looked each other in the eye as they walked down the street. I will remember stopping in our tracks and cheering as truckloads of soldiers or fire engines drove by.

Every year I think that the 9/11 coverage won't move me to tears, not this time. Every year I am wrong. I am so proud to be part of New York City and still so moved to have been a part of such a life changing event.
We will never forget.

No comments: