Monday, September 8, 2008

Pet Questions

I recently received the following email from a friend of a friend about her two kittens and I would like to share it with any animal lovers out there who may have the same questions. The "cat person" she refers to is me.

i also have a question for your friend, the cat person. they are
sick. one has the runs, the other is throwing up. one isnt eating and
is pretty quiet.

before i take them to the vet whcih will cost hundreds of dollars
that i dont have i wondered how long i should wait and if she had any
advice.

I realize that people don't want to have to drop hundreds of dollars at the vet anytime their animal seems a little under the weather. Hell, I don't want to either, if I can help it. But the truth is that it really is necessary. This was my reply.

Because they are kittens, I would recommend taking them to the vet immediately. Vomiting and diarrhea in kittens can be a sign of quite a few diseases, especially if they are not yet fully vaccinated. They can also become dehydrated quickly because they are so young. If you are worried about cost I suggest taking them to the ASPCA in Manhattan, you'll have the best chance of getting affordable (and possibly discounted) care.

Preventative medicine is as important for your pets as it is for you. If your pet is sick, please don't wait to take it to the vet.

No comments: