Saturday, April 26, 2008

Hear that silence? That's "freedom" no longer ringing

(photo: villagevoice.com)

I know that there will be many opinions on the acquittal verdict for the cops involved in Sean Bell's shooting but I refuse to believe that firing 50 rounds is considered justifiable shooting. When the verdict was handed down, the judge admitted that noncriminal "carelessness and incompetence" were not standards in his decision. Why not? Because of the carelessness, recklessness, and incompetence of these cops a man is dead. And I do think that that is exactly what their actions were - reckless, careless, incompetent. I believe that in this day and age cops feel superior to civilians, that they are certain their word will be taken over anyone else's.

Of course we will never know all the details that were presented during the trial but, for me, this statement from Justice Cooperman says enough,

“It was necessary to consider the mindset of each defendant at the time and place of occurrence and not the mindset of the victims.”

To the parents who will never see their son again, to the little girls who will never know their father, and to the woman who never got to say "I do", I'm sorry that our justice system failed you. You have every right to be angry. My heart goes out to you.

No comments: