Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Welcome To The Nuthouse


It's true. I do not play well with others.

My mother used to tell me that I would always have a difficult time finding a boyfriend who would tolerate me because I was too opinionated. My typical response was to roll my eyes, shrug and say "then I guess I won't have a boyfriend." In truth, I had no idea what she was talking about. I wasn't opinionated, I was just being me.

I once had a co-worker (who subsequently became a good friend) tell me that when he first met me he thought me to be a total bitch. He divulged this piece of information to me months later over coffee while I was recounting the events that had taken place a few nights prior. My two roommates, who also happened to be co-workers of ours, had just informed me that my presence was no longer welcome in the apartment we shared and that I should find another, post haste. While I was perfectly willing to move on to greener pastures, I couldn't help but question why they felt the need to evict me. That's when he shared his little tidbit about his first impression of me. I found his initial opinion of me amusing, but that was about it.

Come to think of it, I've had very little success with roommates in general. Most have only lasted about a year and, after the aforementioned ousting, I decided that living on my own would be in my best interest.

Now, at the ripe old age of 31, I finally see what everyone was getting at. I typically have an opinion about everything, whether I'm qualified to or not. In the last few years I have found myself becoming increasingly more outspoken. I don't believe in censoring myself even if it means pissing off a few people in the process.

The point to my inane story? I need an outlet for my opinions, other than my friends and family who have been more than patient with my ranting over the years. So, this is my outlet. I don't pretend that my babbling is of any importance to anyone but myself, however, I have occasionally found a few people who will indulge me and sometimes even agree with me. That is where you come in. Agree with me, disagree with me, ignore me. I'll still be here, rambling on about anything and everything that makes my blood boil.

Welcome to the nuthouse... and, by the way, mom was wrong. I did find a boyfriend, and he doesn't want to hear my opinions anymore either.

No comments: