Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Rainy Wednesday afternoon

It's a dreary rainy day in Astoria. I just spent the past day and a half studying for midterms, took the tests this morning and now I'm pretty fried so this will be a total stream of consciousness....


~ The Smiths are some of the best rainy day music you can listen to. It's the CD we grab first whenever we have to drive somewhere in bad weather. It just fits.



~ There is nothing I find more rude then when someone draws attention to a blemish. I have the misfortune of being plagued with sensitive skin that will break out at the slightest hint of stress, sticky humid weather, or fluctuating hormones. I have had to deal with this since high school. Believe me, I'm well aware of it which is why I don't appreciate someone pointing out a blemish or asking what happened to my face. I especially don't appreciate it when they do such things in front of other people because then I'm forced to announce to everyone that, yes, I have a pimple. Come on, it's not that hard to figure out, you've seen them before, haven't you? And if you yourself have never had a blemish, well, come closer so I can smack you.


~ There are a few things that pets should never eat. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, lethal doses are 1 ounce per pound of milk chocolate and 0.1 ounce per pound of baker's chocolate. Many people think this is an old wive's tale claiming that "my dog loves chocolate and nothing ever happens." Yes, it's true you might get lucky and your dog won't have a reaction but, please, for the dog's sake don't risk it.
~ Onions are toxic to dogs and cats. The poisoning will start as gastrointestinal problems but if enough onion was consumed it will lead to hemolytic anemia. Raw, cooked, and dried onions will all have the same effect.
~ Tylenol is extremely toxic to cats and, to a lesser extent, dogs. Cats lack an enzyme needed to make Tylenol water soluble and therefore utilized by the body. It will oxidize their hemoglobin (the stuff that carries oxygen) so that it no longer can carry oxygen through the bloodstream. I probably don't have to explain that that's bad.


~ Finally, this is ArborBoy, the fabulous guy who puts up with me. He's a horticulturist, an anthropologist, an artist and the love of my life. I realize you can't see his face but I like the view this picture affords me.


And, scene.

1 comment:

Jayne said...

I loved this entry. I can hear your voice in my head when I read what you write; it's pretty funny. :)